Leaflets may be used by individuals, businesses, not-for-profit organisations or governments to:
- Advertise an event such as a music concert, nightclub appearance, festival, or political rally
- Promote a goods-selling businesses such as a used car lot discount store or a service business such as a restaurant or massage parlour.
- Persuade people about a social, religious, or political message, as in evangelism or political campaign activities on behalf of a political party or candidate during an election.
- Recruit members for organisations or companies.
Like postcards, pamphlets and small posters, leaflets are a low-cost form of mass marketing or communication. There are many different formats. Some examples include:
- A4 (roughly letterhead size)
- A5 (roughly half letterhead size)
- DL (compliments slip size)
- A6 (postcard size)